Saturday, April 2, 2011

Celebrations

A New Couple
I remember receiving a phone call from Ragnar, around this time last year, when I was in Birmingham helping Claire with Ellie, Bekah and brand new little Lydia. He told me he had exciting news - there was a new couple on the campus. He didn’t want to tell me who they were though ‘cause he wanted to be with me and see my reaction. He was quite surprised when I responded, "You don’t need to tell me, I already know - it’s Erlend and Anne". I don’t know how I knew - I just did - a 6th sense???
An Engaged Couple
I also remember a few months later when our house was quite full of people, viewing one of the final games of the world cup, I received another phone call - this time from Anne. She and Erlend wanted to come over and she had something to show me. From the excitement in her voice, it didn’t even take a 6th sense this time to know she would soon be showing us her engagement ring. It was BEAUTIFUL and we were soooooo happy for them.
A Married Couple

When a German lady and a Norwegian gentleman, who are studying and surrounded by oodles of friends in England, become engaged, how in the world do they decide where to tie the knot?

Getting married in Germany in December; a celebration in England in January and a reception in Norway in February sounded like a great way to cover all bases!!

What a thoughtful couple to make arrangements to allow lots of us to join in on the celebrations, even though we couldn’t be in Germany in December. The date was set for December 18. It was fun seeing their relationship grow, leading up to this fabulous day. An evening together in our home in December. Celebration in England

Students, volunteers and staff enjoyed an evening of celebrating Erlend and Anne’s new life together. Lots of people did their share in decorating, creating a special little nook for the newly weds. Chairs were arranged for many small groups to enjoy conversations, and of course lots of yummy goodies were part of the evening. This handsome man, who has enjoyed nearly 35 years of martial bliss, shared some special thoughts on marriage. Lots of friends enjoying the celebration.
Reception in Norway


When we were first invited to go share in the 'Norwegian wedding’ it sounded great and we were excited, but we didn’t think it would be possible. However as the time got closer, so did the possibility of us being able to go. Suddenly we had tickets in our hands and were on our way.


The night before the big occasion found us in the Reception room helping to get ready for this special event - setting tables and arranging flowers.



The big night was here - the Rosvik family and friends gathered to celebrate.



It was so fun and interesting to see how similar the Norwegian and Faroese wedding receptions are -

- songs written for the occasion

- speeches from the crowd

- traditional dress worn

- huge variety of delicious desserts

Ragnar sharing and Markus translating.
The happy couple opening their gifts.
Ragnar practicing his Norwegian with Erlend's father.
The other 5 siblings singing to the couple.

We were blessed to be included!!

3 comments:

Hilsen Bodil F.T. said...

Oh, thanks for posting, Liz! I enjoyd reading!!

hjemme bra said...

hi Liz and Ragnar.
Enjoyed reading about your visit to Vigra. Glad you enjoyed your time here (who wouldn't - in Sarah's house...)
It was very nice to meet you, and to get to know you a litle.

Anne said...

wow, Liz, this is the first time I saw this very flattering post about us, thank you so much. you are very good at writing and making people sound good :-)

Love, Anne