Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chatsworth House

The volunteer girls have been such a blessing this year. A few have come and gone, 2 have been here from the beginning and 2 more have joined us in the last few months. While looking at the calendar, I realized that there was only one more available Saturday to have an outing with them - we better make plans quickly. After discussing the options with the girls, we choose Chatsworth House - Mr. Darcy's home in Pride and Prejudice.
It was an awesome day together - the 2 hour trip each way, tour of the beautiful house, picnic on the spacious green lawn and leisurely walks through the gardens, admiring the lovely flowers and bushes. So relaxing and refreshing.
We arrived back home around 7:00 and before 8:00 the house was full with over 40 people - with the Missions Class being in 'Jungle Camp; right now, we thought the number might be down, but several people had visiting friends or family, which was great.
It was hard to believe it was our last Open House for this school year.
I'm glad they don't mind using every square inch on the living room carpet or standing in groups around the kitchen counters. We have really enjoyed those Saturday nights with the students and look forward to continue them in the fall.
Two days later was Grete's birthday. All 'my girls' came over for Indian food and then we watched Pride and Prejudice together before we had the birthday cake. It was so fun to see the movie so soon after our visit to Chatsworth - a good ending to our Saturday outing.
My first attempt at making a giant cupcake - lots of room for improvement there - it will take a few tries before I can perfect it.
Although we will soon be miles apart, Grete and I have decided to start memorizing the book of Colossians together. We will be going at a snail's pace, one verse a week, but Lord willing in a little less than 2 years, we'll be able to recite it to each other. As we are on this journey, we will write it to each other, but I'll just have to trust her as she will be memorizing it in Norwegian. I am so looking forward to it and happy to have someone to be accountable to.
I'm thankful for a great year with these young ladies. I'll miss them next year when they have all gone their separate ways. Times like this make us even more thankful for email, Facebook and blogs. The upside - I'm looking forward to meeting the new ladies in September.

No comments: