Friday, April 9, 2010

Week-end in Scotland

Over the Easter week-end, we made a trip to Scotland with our good friends, Scott and Cindy Nelsen. Every second of seeing the beautiful scenery, being with our friends, and just the change in pace for a few days was well appreciated.
Scott and Cindy at Loch Lomond - the largest lake in Great Britain. It is on the boundary between the lowlands of Central Scotland and the Highlands.
Just to prove that we really were in Scotland.
The scenery was absolutely gorgeous!

Numerous old stone fences.

Many old buildings were so fascinating.
Ruins of the Kilchurn Castle on Loch AweInveraray Castle - we didn't tour the building, but enjoyed a cup of coffee at their Cafe in the basement.
Stalker Castle - Appin on Loch Linnhe
Edinburgh Castle - we have heard so much about this magnificent castle from lots of friends. When we drove by it one night several years ago, I was excited just to see it - now I had the opportunity to walk around inside.
Pathway up to the castle.
From another angle.
Music in the Grand Hall.
An old prison cell in the basement.

Dining room in the prison.
Walking down the Royal Mile we passed by the house of John Knox - leader of the Scottish Reformation.

At the end of the Royal Mile was the Palace of Hollyroodhouse - Queen Elizabeth's home in Scotland. Cindy and I enjoyed a tour of the house and gardens while Ragnar and Scott relaxed with a cup of coffee.
The Glasgow Cathedral - built in the 12th and 13th centuries.
Inside the cathedral.
We enjoyed a walk though the Botanical Gardens in Glasgow.

Yummy - a pot of mussels - just like home!!
Brave enough to order Haggis! Even though I was told what it was made from, I took a bite and it actually tasted pretty good!!
Our visit to the David Livingstone center in Blantyre was very enjoyable.
Cindy and I outside the tenement building where Livingstone was born and raised.
He was brought up in this one room in the textile mill, along with his 6 siblings.

No comments: