We love the Christmas celebrations in the Faroe Islands. Since our last Christmas there was in 1991, this time was extra special. When we arrived there on the 10th of December, all the houses decorated with lots of outdoor lights brightened up the drive from the airport to our home town. Craig, Claire, Ellie, Rebekah and Lydia joined us on the 17th, adding lots of extra joy to our already great time.
I had started to knit these 3 sweaters a couple of weeks before we went to the Faroes, but worked every spare moment after we arrived to get them all ready on time.
On Christmas Day we had Leg of Lamb. They tell me it was also a yummy meal, and I just have to believe them since I decided to get the flu that day and only had a glass of water as I watched them eat.
All my Faroese friends tell me this is the most delicious meat on the planet! On Boxing Day we all gathered at Ragnar's sister's home, along with her children and grandchildren. Although I did enjoy some on the 31st, my tummy wasn't ready for it yet this day. I really enjoyed listening to everyone talk about how much they were enjoying it though.
After the table was cleared, it was immediately reset with lots of delicious desserts.
Then the ladies gathered in the living room to play scrabble.
While the men were in a different corner watching a British Soccer game.
Then as if we had not partied enough, that evening we were invited to attend our Filipino next door neighbour's baby's dedication.
Lots of familiar dishes that make our mouths water - pancit, adobo and lumpia.
We understand there are about 100 Filipinos living in the Faroe Islands, and many of them had gathered for this special occasion. What fun to see the surprise look on their faces, when they heard Faroese people speaking to them in their mother tongue!!
We enjoyed meeting lots of them, finding out where they grew up in the Philippines and their stories of moving to the Faroes.
Tillukku til tín
Tillukku til tín
Tillukku góða Teresa
Tillukku til tín!
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Teresa,
Happy Birthday to you!
Maligayang bati
Maligayang bati,
Maligayang, maligayang
Maligayang bati!
No comments:
Post a Comment