Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fantastic Result




So many of my friends have shared with me about their computer crashing and losing all of their data, photos etc. I have always wondered when it would be my turn.

Well the time came a few weeks ago when I turned my computer on in the morning and was greeted with a blank screen.

Although I have great intentions of backing everything up weekly, I honestly couldn't remember the last time I had done that. I wondered if I had just said good bye to lots of photos of our grandkids and recent happenings in our lives.

We took my computer to a friend who said he would be glad to look at it. It was during a very busy time here though, so during the next few days of waiting I was talking myself into believing that it wouldn't be all that bad if I had lost everything. I would just have to except it.

We were greeted with good news though when he did have time to look at it - he said it was an electrical problem and the hard drive would not have been affected. Wow - all that worrying, planning and figuring out what the next step should be was worth it! My hard drive was fine!!

Now to decide what to do about the electrical problem. Our friend offered to take it apart, but first he would have to do research on the machine etc. He also told us another option would be to buy a monitor, and just plug the computer into that. We were considering that option as I didn't want him to have to use lots of time to try and fix something unfixable.

Suddenly one day we started to talk about how old the computer was - I remember the occasion when we bought it, and Ragnar's eyes lit up. "Maybe it is still under warranty." I had never thought of that! He quickly looked it up and we saw that it was 9 days short of 3 years - and we had a 3 year warranty. We quickly called DELL and they said they would send a repairman to our home the next day.

The following morning my computer was taken apart and spread all over our dining room table. How in the world would he ever get all that back together again??? However, within a couple of hours, he left me with a computer that is basically brand new. It is working fine again - enjoying the new screen and motherboard!!

I still have all of my pictures and data, and it is even all backed up!!!

No comments: