Saturday, January 19, 2013

Marzipan Trial


Claire loves marzipan desserts.  Marzipan cookies are quite common in the Faroes, so each time we are there, I try and get some and hopefully surprise her with them before they dry out.

Just before Christmas I was surprised myself when I saw the pans on sale for baking the cake.  I knew I should get them and try making her a cake as her Christmas gift.  (It is known as a Norwegian wedding cake.  I have been told the newlyweds lift the top layer together - the number of layers that come off with the top layer is the number of children they will have.)
 I waited to make it until the day before she came so it would still be fresh.  
When I checked the recipe to see if I had the ingredients on hand (which turned out to be only 3) I didn't bother to read the instructions, where I would have noticed the dough needed to be refrigerated overnight. 
Oh well, Ellie and I came up with a plan to keep her mom out of the kitchen while we experimented with the cake.  I'm sure Ellie's tale of us making a cabbage pie helped keep her in other rooms too. 

 - Ellie helping to form the top layers
- putting the layers together


- Ellie helping with the final decorations
 - Surprise!!