Monday, January 14, 2013

National Nature Reserve

Hundreds of seals come up on the beach quite near us this time of the year.  They give birth to their pups near the sand dunes.  It is quite a tourist attraction with hundreds of people walking the beach on week ends in November and December.

Most of the students go down to observe this sight each year.  I have always wanted to join them, but invariably seemed to be involved in something else those available week ends.  Since they always came back excited about their adventure I would always tell myself that I would do it next year. 

Soon it was that time of the year again.  This time I had to be stern with myself - the Christmas cards would still be on the table when I returned.  I hoped in the car and made my way to Donna Nook. 

 I'm glad I did - although I have seen plenty of seals before, now I know what everyone has been talking about - countless seals on the beach with hundreds of people observing them, cameras clicking away, kids jumping up and down, people selling souvenirs etc. 

No comments: