Parties in the Faroes are as much a part of life as is having a few hours sleep at night.
We have been invited to many, many parties over the years and it is absolutely amazing to observe the beautiful array of homemade creations each time.
We have been invited to many, many parties over the years and it is absolutely amazing to observe the beautiful array of homemade creations each time.
Almost everyone's birthday and anniversary are celebrated. When it is your birthday - you throw the party; when your anniversary is coming up, you better start baking. You will want to have 6-10 different kinds of cakes and cookies to put on the table that evening. Guests will sit around the table taking a sample (or more) of each one. You set (and reset) the table and do the dishes as people come and go up until 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.!!
I had been so used to getting together with my friend's friends to surprise them on their birthdays, that this 'do it for yourself' way took awhile to sink in. Now I like the idea though - I could do the preparations for my own party (and my family) and just sit back and enjoy many more the rest of the year.
Just imagine how many parties a member of a knitting club could go to - each member's party and also their spouses, plus many of their children and don't forget their anniversaries, plus their coworkers parties, their neighbours and all their relatives in the area.
Wow - lots of feasting!!
Wow - lots of feasting!!
My introduction to the system was my 25th birthday, just before we went to the Philippines the first time. Since it was my birthday, I was the one responsible to prepare the food - people would be coming to the house that night.
How in the world could I create recipes that I had never heard of before? First of all I needed to find someone to translate them and even then still didn't know what quite a few of the ingredients were!! (Thankfully my in laws were kind enough to help me since I really didn't know what I was doing.)
How in the world could I create recipes that I had never heard of before? First of all I needed to find someone to translate them and even then still didn't know what quite a few of the ingredients were!! (Thankfully my in laws were kind enough to help me since I really didn't know what I was doing.)
Wedding Receptions are HUGE. Usually the ceremony is held in the court house with just a hand full in attendance. But wait, the reception is the main thing. You could have up to 300-400 people. You'll start with a 5 course meal, have songs written for the special occasion, skits, countless speeches and then coffee with tons of desserts close to midnight. Sometimes the party continues all through the night and comes to an end after breakfast is served the following morning.
| Our friend's 60th |
For your 60th or 70th birthday, or 25th or 50th wedding anniversary, you might rent a sports hall or hotel reception room - let the word out and expect 200-300 people, serve a big meal and party all evening.
Yes, parties are BIG and a huge part of the Faroese culture.
Yes, parties are BIG and a huge part of the Faroese culture.
We had our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration there, and it was 3 times as big as our wedding in Nova Scotia. Actually the day began with the church choir coming to our house and singing outside our window to wake us up.
They were invited in, and served breakfast (my in-laws had known about it).
| Ragnar thanking everyone for coming. |
| Singing songs written for the occasion. |
As each guest arrived, we shook their hands, and when the celebration was finished, we shook hands with all of them again as they left. Another interesting observation is that they also shake hands and congratulate all the members of the family. Ex. - on our 25th, when our friends and neighbours came in, they would shake our hands and congratulate us, then shake hands with Ragnar's parents and congratulate them on their son's anniversary. Then continue to shake hands with Ryan and Craig, congratulating them on their parent's anniversary.
![]() |
| Giving a speech at my in-laws anniversary. |
![]() |
| Ragnar's turn. |
Besides 'formal' parties, people often pop in and out of their friends and relatives homes just for a friendly chat over a cup of coffee. No knocking at the door - most people leave their doors unlocked all day long, so when you go to visit you just walk in and call to let them know you are there.
We often leave home at 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. to go visit friends. No wonder we have the 'policy' in our home that we can't go to bed the same day we got up!! I guess we are Faroese through and through!!
When is the next party???



No comments:
Post a Comment