Thursday, May 16, 2013

U is for Unique Hikes


I love being outdoors and I enjoy walking in any season - along the beach, paths in the woods, city parks or exploring in farm country.  I try to do it everyday no matter what the weather is like, or what country I happen to be in.  
However walking in the Faroes is especially enjoyable - there are lots of paths that take you over fast flowing streams where heaps of birds are flying low, always with ocean waves in the background, plus small hills and mountains to climb.

Several times we have climbed one of the mountains in Klaksvik as a family and extended family.  You couldn't ask for a bigger reward at the top than the gorgeous view of our home town and more - 360 degrees.


A walk up a hill on the edge of our town is unique and I find myself going in that direction often.

One summer Ragnar and I joined a group that was going on a hike following the old route of the postman - up one side of a nearby mountain and down the other side.  

We never would have made it without our tour guide, who also shared lots of info from days gone by as we were climbing.  That was a fun afternoon, shared with friends and we were rewarded in the end with a meal of hot soup and home made bread.  
I had to smile later, when I read in a Tour Guide book that this climb can be quite difficult for strangers and ladies were advised against it!!

No comments: