Thursday, May 30, 2013

N is for National Dress

I think the Faroese National Dress is beautiful. 
Two of our nieces.
 I am so pleased to have been at a few special occasions where lots of people were wearing them.      
Our niece's daughter.
They are worn for special occasions such as National Day (July 29), a wedding, graduation or town festivals.
Most of the shawls are hand embroidered  so there are a variety of designs.   
I'm saving $100.00 a month, so I can buy one for my 75th Birthday - ha ha!!  Seriously though, they are very expensive and people buy it piece by piece  over a few years until their outfit is complete.  Of course some people receive a few buttons, the scarf or chain for their birthday or a Christmas gift, or they might also have one passed down to them.
Our niece and her husband.

The men's national attire is home spun knee length pants and an embroidered 'waistcoat'. 

No comments: