Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Y is for Yarn


Yarn plays a big part in Faroese life.  A good majority of the population own several beautiful hand knit sweaters which they wear frequently.  Sweaters that have been hand knit from Faroese wool are not only attractive, but they keep you nice and warm, and can be worn for several years.  

Knitting club.
Husbands joining them later in the evening for a cup of coffee.
Girls learn to knit at a young age, and as teenagers often form 'Knitting Clubs' which get together once a week to knit.  Some of these Knitting Clubs continue for many years and are a big part of their social life.  I am sure it's also the ideal place to learn from each other and share new ideas and patterns. 
 New types of yarn, various colours and sizes of needles used continue to produce exciting patterns.  Can you imagine the sweaters, socks, mittens, scarfs and blankets that have been knit for their husbands, children and grandchildren? 
The wool is mainly from the thousands of sheep that freely graze on the mountains.  Shearing time which takes place each summer, is very productive.  In our home town alone of 5,000 there are 3 busy yarn shops.  Their shelves are stocked with every kind of yarn imaginable.  They also sell home knit sweaters, basically for tourists.  
My first couple of visits to the Faroes as we would go from home to home, night after night I would so admire how everyone knew how to make such gorgeous pieces.  I took along my cross stitching, just so I wouldn't be twiddling my thumbs.  I thought I was both too old to learn, and would never do it in the heat in the Philippines.  
Finally one year I gave in and decided to try something simple like a scarf.  Since I really enjoyed it, I gradually went on to sweaters and other projects.  I am so glad I took that initial step - now I love knitting sweaters for our grandchildren.

2 comments:

Muriel Miller said...

Liz, I hope you are saving these for your book!

janneke said...

I think Nitting is were populare in Norway too.